It's less than two months until the Auckland Hui for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. If you haven't checked out the programme of events, have a look here.
Here are 10 great reasons to go to the gathering:
1) Can you afford not to – if you’re serious about writing for children? The next conference won’t be for another two years.
2) This is your best chance to get that manuscript in front of a publisher. Many New Zealand and Australian publishers do not take unsolicited manuscripts – at the conference they are prepared to waive that and consider your manuscript. Australian publishers will be present – normally you would have to cross the ditch to get that opportunity – we’re saving you an air ticket.
3) Sessions for experienced and inexperienced writers and for illustrators offer an unparalleled opportunity to learn from those who’ve been there before you.
4) The conference is costing you less than a manuscript assessment.
5) You have a chance to ask a burning question from some of New Zealand’s top writers and illustrators: Gavin Bishop, Lynley Dodd, Tessa Duder, William Taylor, Katerina Mataira, Fleur Beale
6) It is an opportunity to network with other writers and illustrators – you will be surprised how much valuable information you can pick up just in the breaks by talking to other writers and illustrators.
7) It will kick-start your writing/illustration year with a surge of creative and empowered energy. It is amazing how much more you can achieve.
8) The Literary Feast is part of the conference fee - as well as a tasty meal and wine you will also be entertained by some of our wittiest and most established writers and illustrators.
9) Illustrators can showcase their portfolio in the Illustrators gallery.
10) Published authors and illustrators can talk about issues that are affecting their industry.
So, have a look on the website, book those fares to Auckland and if anyone has accomodation issues then our kind folk up North may be able to find you a billet!