Wellington Children’s Book Association (WCBA) Inc
New Pacific Studio Working Residency
Illustrators and Writers for Children:
You are invited to apply for a free, seven-day residency at New Pacific Studio, Mt Bruce, Wairarapa, funded by the Wellington Children’s Book Association (WCBA) Inc. The WCBA will also offer a stipend of $300 to cover travel and food costs.
New Pacific Studio, a beautifully restored 1912 villa, is located on a 5-acre property on State Highway 2, just 1 km north of the Mt Bruce National Wildlife Centre, 5 minutes south of Eketahuna and 20 minutes north of Masterton. This is the perfect location to forget everything else you HAVE to do and just get on with the work in progress with no interruptions.
The residency is self-catering in a communal farmhouse kitchen, with a resident director and at the time this residency is being offered, two Danish artists will also be in residency: a children's book illustrator and a writer. The working spaces in the villa are quiet and private with broadband. There is free pick up from Masterton railway station.
- Reside in the Greater Wellington region
- Be over 18
- Be a current member of The Wellington Children’s Book Association
- Have a minimum of one published work (in a recognised trade or educational publication for children eg: School Journal) or a Writing Award.
- Be available to take the week offered (either 22nd- 28th October or 29th October-4th November 2012)
Applicants are invited to send their Writing/Illustration CV along with either -
- (Writers) Up to 10 pages of a work in progress or previously published work.
- (Illustrators) Colour copies of two illustrations from a work in progress or previously published work.
Please include your name, address, phone, and email contact details in your covering letter and state what you hope to get out of the residency.
Please submit your covering letter, CV and sample pages by 24th August 2012 to
Wellington Children’s Book Association
P O Box 1242
The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The successful applicant will be personally notified and may be asked to participate in media publicity.
(Note: Wellington Children’s Book Association committee members and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.)
For more details about the WCBA see:
For more details about New Pacific Studio see: